Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
You've been in DC a lot longer than I have, so I'd figure I'd ask you: what are some of the best Superman stories out there?
I’ve got at least one “masterpost” of my Superman recs you can go to here, but I can give you a quick “starter recs” to go off of as a new reader : )
Where to start!:
- Adventures of Superman (2013-2014) #28 - digital issue, self contained, $0.99, everything you need to know about Superman as a character
- Superman (1987-2006) #59 - the most important Clark & Lois issue of all time
- Superman: The Wedding Album - free digitally, and is the super important union of Clark and Lois in the pre-New 52 continuity.
- Superman: Secret Identity - elseworld mini series, but legitimately my favorite Superman story of all time.
- Action Comics (1938-2011) #847 - Clark and Pa Kent
- Adventures of Superman (2013-2014) #12 - Clark and Ma Kent
- Superman: Up, UP and Away! - One Year Later story — probably the only OYL story worth a damn overall, really.
- Superman: Last Son of Krypton - Clark and Lois meet Chris and break my heart
I would honestly feel comfortable with people starting off with any of these.
I should note that this is entirely based on the Superman continuity before the New52. I have no real love for the reboot’s take on the Super Family — particularly how they’ve dismantled it and broken the relationships with Clark I loved the most (Lois, Ma, Pa, Kon, Chris, etc.).
If you’re interested in that version of the character I’m sorry : ( I can’t help much.
Be sure to wish uber-talented and all-around nice guy Evan ‘Doc’ Shaner a happy birthday today!
Just look at what this guy can do.
I’ve been lucky enough to get a couple of commissions from Evan, myself.
Not a great photo, but Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy as The Spirit and Lady Luck.
Jay Garrick - The Flash!
Happiest of days to you, Doc!
In progress work of restoration. Based on an unfinished golden age Superman story - “The K-Metal From Krypton”.
Ok but for those that do not know, this project is very important. Jerry Siegal wrote a story in which Lois finds out that Clark and Superman were one and the same, and that was supposed to be the status quo from there on out. However the publisher pulled the story and kept the charade going for another 50 years.
This project is a restoration of the original art from 1940 for what was supposed to be Superman #8. Jerry wrote the story while several artists including Joe Shuster, Wayne Boring, Paul Cassidy, et. al. contributed artwork. So today several artists are helping restore the original work.
So to reiterate: JERRY AND JOE WANTED LOIS TO KNOW THE TRUTH WAY BACK IN 1940.
Page 1 of 14